The 2013 Subgrant Program is now closed.
Awards will be announced at the ABA YLD Spring Conference May 16 – 18 in Minneapolis, MN and all recipients will be notified by June 1.
Check back in October 2013 for information on the 2014 Subgrant Program.
About the Subgrant Program
Subgrants are awarded annually by the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ABA YLD), with support from the ABA Fund for Justice and Education. The program is designed to promote quality projects developed by affiliated young lawyer organizations and to assist in the success of the program by providing support through program funding for the following two categories:
- Public Service Project
- Bar Leadership/Membership Service Project
ABA YLD will award approximately $25,000 in total to young lawyer Affiliates for Public Service and Bar Leadership/Member Service Projects. Public Service Awards will not exceed $2,000 per subgrant and Member Service Awards will not exceed $500 per subgrant. Successful proposals include the following:
- Well-defined and achievable goals
- Specific measures of success
- Collaboration with minority bar associations and/or senior bar associations
- Inclusion of underrepresented or diverse minority groups
- Original and unique project activities
- Projects that can be replicated by other Affiliates
Additionally, priority will be given to projects that provide law-related service to the public, which help meet an otherwise unmet need.
Any ABA YLD Young Lawyer Affiliated Organization affiliated under Articles 3.1 (a) or 3.1 (b) of the ABA YLD Bylaws is eligible. There is no limit to the number of applications an Affiliate can submit. Each subgrant is valid for a one year time period.
For more information on Affiliate eligibility, see the ABA YLD Bylaws.
- Subgrant Information Form: Each subgrant applicant must complete and submit the online information form.
- Project Narrative and Budget: A narrative description and a preliminary line item budget are required and must be emailed to the address on the form. Please follow the proposal writing format outlined in the Subgrant Guidelines.
How to Apply
For more information on subgrants, please contact Gina Sadler, Business Specialist, at 312-988-5671.