Call for Nominations
Nominations for the 2015 – 2016 Outstanding Young Military Lawyer Award (OYMLA) are now open!
About the Award
This award, a joint effort of the American Bar Association Young Lawyer Division and Judge Advocate Association, recognizes the legal contributions of one young judge advocate from each uniformed service: the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Coast Guard. Every judge advocate command is encouraged to nominate one young officer under the conditions herein.
Nominations will be evaluated based on a narrative description of professional accomplishments, service to the community, leadership, and development of subordinates. Please also note the following criteria:
- As of August 1, 2016, nominees must be active duty officers under the age of 36, or first admitted to practice by his or her bar association within the past 5 years. Nominees are NOT required to be members of the ABA; however, nominees cannot have been previous OYMLA recipients.
- Nominations must be submitted by a licensed attorney.
- Nominations must be submitted by way of the form which is available for download. Nominations shall encompass all service to date, but shall be limited to 6 pages, using 12 point Times New Roman font. Additional endorsements, attachments, or supporting documents are not required and will not be considered. Avoid using acronyms, but if unavoidable, spell out the acronym when first used.
Each nomination packet should be emailed to their corresponding Service POC no later than April 1, 2016. Services, however, may set earlier due dates.
- Army – Chief Sarah Javins, JAGC, USA
- Air Force – Captain Richard J. Schrider, USAF
- Coast Guard – LCDR Kelly A. Sawyer
- Marine Corps – Captain Joseph Neely, USMC
- Navy – Lieutenant Daniel R. Mangual, OJAG
Services will submit their top five nominations to the POC below no later than April 30, 2016. These nominations will be reviewed by an award panel within the JAA who will name the awardees for each Service.
The recipients will be announced in May or June 2016, and they will be honored at the ABA Annual Meeting in San Francisco, California. (Exact date to be determined however, awardees should keep August 4 – August 6 open). Service Representatives will provide travel and schedule details to their corresponding award recipients.