The Emerging Leaders Program is designed to fast track the involvement of former ABA Law Student Division (LSD) leaders (officers, delegates, governors, student editor, liaisons, national student directors, ABA Representatives) in the substantive work of the YLD after graduation. Each year, up to ten (10) LSD Leaders are selected to participate in the Program. The goal of the program is to engage participants in the YLD, with the hope that they will remain active and involved as young lawyers.
Program Length: One bar year (September 1 - August 31)
Those selected will participate in the program during the following bar year. The program consists of:
- Partial funding to one or more YLD Conference per the YLD’s financial policy.
- Appointment to, and active participation, on an assigned YLD board or team.
- Pairing of EL with a YLD Cabinet Member as a Resource
- Production of a written piece (i.e. 101/201 article, resolution for consideration at the YLD Assembly, article for TYL or The Affiliate newsletter, etc.).
- Assisting on Law Student Outreach activities and other YLD projects as assigned.
Applicants must be a 3L and also a current LSD leader (officers, delegates, governors, student editor, liaisons, national student directors, ABA Representatives). Each applicant must also intend to sit for a bar exam and/or seek admission to the highest court of a state or territory of the United States by July 30th.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application (available Jan. 1) which includes a letter of intent section.
- Submit the following application materials to Tracy Kaempf (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Current resume or CV
- Up to three letters of recommendation from current or former employers, law school professors, or ABA leaders or staff
Application Deadline: Spring 2015, Date TBD
The Review Committee is made up of YLD members. Scholarships will be awarded to applicants who have demonstrated leadership in the ABA Law Student Division and in their law school and a desire to become active, engaged leaders in the YLD.
The Review Committee will also consider the following based on the applicant’s letter of intent:
- Initiative – Has the applicant displayed leadership in the ABA Law Student Division as well as scholarship and leadership in his or her law school?
- Future Commitment – Has the applicant demonstrated his or her future commitment to becoming a leader in the ABA Young Lawyers Division?
- Attendance – Does the applicant affirmatively state that he or she will attend at least one YLD Conference during the bar year of participation?
- Communication – Are the ideas expressed in the letter of intent and other supporting information communicated clearly?