About the Program:
The American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ABA YLD) presents the annual Awards of Achievement Program. This program is an opportunity for state and local young lawyer organizations Affiliated with the ABA Young Lawyers Division to submit their best projects for evaluation and recognition by a jury of their peers. It is designed to encourage project development by recognizing the time, effort, and skills expended by young lawyer organizations in implementing public service and bar service projects in their communities. Additional recognition is given to minority attorney involvement projects and Affiliate newsletter programs. The information acquired is ultimately disseminated throughout the Affiliate network, the national conferences, The Affiliate newsletter, and general YLD clearinghouse activities.
The 2014-2015 application process will open on March 1, 2015.
Any ABA YLD Young Lawyer Affiliated Organization affiliated under Articles 3.1 (a) or 3.1 (b) of the ABA YLD Bylaws is eligible. For more information on Affiliate eligibility, see the ABA YLD Bylaws.
In completing your application(s), be sure to read the General Rules carefully. If you have any questions about the rules, please contact Affiliates Director Kate Conyers. You may also contact ABA YLD Office Administrator Tara Blasingame for additional information.
In completing your application(s), be sure to read the General Rules carefully.
Affiliates may submit only one nomination in each of the five categories for a maximum of five nominations. Failure to comply with this rule may result in disqualification from consideration.
Projects contained within the Comprehensive nomination must be submitted separately for consideration in the Single Project, Minority, or Newsletter categories.
Electronic submissions will only be accepted via CD/DVD/Flash Drives. Only one CD/DVD/Flash Drive may be submitted per project. CD/DVD/Flash Drives will not be returned. The package enclosure form must be readily visible when package is opened. The AOA nomination form must be completed online by clicking the submit button. Please remember to print your nomination forms before submitting.
Applications and exhibits should be mailed to:
American Bar Association/Young Lawyers Division
321 N. Clark, 18th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60654
Categories & Nomination Forms: FORMS WILL BE AVAILABLE MARCH 1st!
1. Single Project/SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC – The nomination should highlight the most successful public service project conducted during the last concluded activity year.
2. Single Project/SERVICE TO THE BAR – The nomination should highlight the most successful professional service project it conducted during the last concluded activity year.
3. Single Project/DIVERSITY – The nomination should highlight the most successful project conducted during the last concluded activity year that assisted minority lawyers in their career development or increased their level of involvement in the bar.
4. COMPREHENSIVE – The nomination should highlight the broad range of programming conducted during the last activity year. Competition is based on the totality of programs.
5. NEWSLETTER – The nomination should highlight the role of an Affiliate newsletter in achieving its overall goals and objectives.
The Judges are recruited by the Affiliates Director through a targeted mailing. No judge will participate in the evaluation of an application from his/her own state.-Rounded or Balanced Nature of Overall Bar Program(s). Judges consider the following criteria:
- Degree of Change or Growth
- Achievement of Goals/Impact
- Degree of Participation by Members
- Compliance with these Rules
Winners of the program will be announced during the YLD Assembly at the 2014 ABA Annual Meeting in Boston.