Resources for Victims

Victim of Notario Fraud?

Are you or someone you know a victim of notario fraud? If so, please call us at (202) 442-3363. 

PLEASE NOTE: The ABA cannot guarantee placement of a case for representation, but we will make all possible efforts to connect any individual with a viable claim to a local attorney.

Submitting information to the American Bar Association (ABA) does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any information you provide to the ABA may not be treated as privileged.

In order to best assist you, if you give us permission, we would like to send your complaints to other individuals and organizations. If you choose to waive confidentiality by stating in your email, you are authorizing the ABA to disclose the information you have provided to others for the purpose of assisting you.

Submit a Complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

You may submit your complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency.  It collects complaints about companies, business practices, and identity theft under the FTC Act and other laws it enforces or administers.

Your complaints can help detect patterns of wrong-doing, and lead to investigations and prosecutions. The FTC enters all complaints it receives into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database that is used by thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide. The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.

Please note that how much information you provide is up to you.  You may choose to remain anonymous.

To submit a complaint with the FTC, please visit the Consumer Sentinel page

Report in Your State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides information on how to report notario fraud in your state under consumer law statutes.  You can find information about the appropriate agency in your state by visiting the USCIS website

File a Complaint against an Attorney with the Local State Bar

The American Bar Association (ABA) provides a list of attorney disciplinary agencies in each state.  Follow the link under the state in which the attorney is licensed to practice law and locate the “File a Complaint Against an Attorney” page.

File a Complaint against an Immigration Attorney or Representative 

The Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR) provides information on how to file a complaint against an immigration attorney or a Board of Immigration Appeals accredited representative.   

Contact a Legal Services Organization for Immigration Advice

For a list of free or low cost immigration legal service providers in your state, please visit the following websites:

If you are able to afford to pay an attorney, the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) has an Immigration Lawyer Referral Service.  For more information, visit  

Please note: To find out the status of your immigration case, you can call the Immigration Court toll free at 1-800-898-7180. You will need your Alien Registration Number (A#).   

Please note that the ABA is not an organization that represents individuals in immigration or other legal matters before immigration authorities.

If you have any questions, comments, or would like to request more legal information, please contact us at:

Fight Notario Fraud
ABA Commission on Immigration

1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036

Telephone: (202) 442-3363