Division for Public Education
Law Day: For Schools
These lessons help upper elementary students understand:
- functions of the judicial branch and the judicial review process;
- Separation of Powers: Legislators, Police Officers, and Judges ;
- the First Amendment;
- how citizens influence public policy;
- equal protection of the law;
- due process freedoms; and
- mediation and the adversary process.
Also see the elementary teaching unit Laws, Rights, and Responsibilities, available from the American Lawyers Auxiliary.
** Lesson also appropriate for students in grades k-3.