Task Force on the Model Definition of the Practice of Law
Board of Governors Resolution
RESOLVED, that a Task Force on the Model Definition of the Practice of Law with not more than seven members, including a chair, appointed by the President in consultation with the chair of the Standing Committee on Client Protection shall be established to work in conjunction with the Standing Committee on Client Protection regarding a model definition of the practice of law and to report to the Board of Governors not later than August 2003. This Task Force and the Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility shall maintain a liaison relationship.
- President's Challenge Statement
- Recommendation As Adopted August 11, 2003 and Report
- Background to Report
- U.S. FTC/DOJ Comments on the American Bar Association's Proposed Model Definition of the Practice of Law (Dec. 20, 2002)
Adopted Definitions of the Practice of Law
- Nebraska Rules Governing the Unauthorized Practice of Law (effective January 1, 2008)
- Utah Definition of the Practice of Law (adopted June 7, 2005)
- Washington State Practice of Law Board
- Connecticut - Rules of the Superior Court, Sec. 2-44A., Definition of The Practice of Law (Effective January 1, 2008)
See also AZ, DC and WA under State Definitions of the Practice of Law.
Proposed Definitions of the Practice of Law
For additional information, please contact Art Garwin, Publication & Professionalism Counsel at 312/988-5294 or Art.Garwin@americanbar.org.