May 15, 2013
- The Leadership Fellows Program application is now available. The application deadline for next year’s Section Leadership Fellows Program is May 31, 2013. Visit the Leadership Fellows webpage for more information and to complete the application.
- The Young Lawyers Leadership Program application is also available. The application deadline for next year’s Young Lawyers Leadership Program is May 31, 2013. Visit the Young Lawyers Leadership Program webpage for more information and to complete the application.
May 7, 2013
- Former Attorney General and former Chair of the ABA Section of Litigation Benjamin Civiletti was the recipient of the ABA Section of Litigation Annual Excellence Award at a dinner held in his honor on April 26, following the conclusion of the ABA Section of Litigation Section Annual Conference in Chicago, to a record attendance of over 1,100 lawyers. Read more about The Annual Excellence Award and Benjamin Civiletti.
April 29, 2013
- This year's Section Annual Conference, April 24–26 in Chicago, was a huge success! There were over 1000registrants for this year’s event and over 200 nationally known speakers including David Axelrod, Former Senior Advisor to the President, Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago, and John J. Cullerton, Illinois Senate President, Neal K. Katyal, Former Acting Solicitor General of the United States,Joe Torre, Major League Baseball’s Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations and Founder of the Safe at Home Foundation, and many more. With a number of networking opportunities and a carnival-themed Committee Expo, this year's event was a great opportunity for fun and exposure to others in the legal community. Read about World Series Manager Joe Torre Talks of Growing Up With Domestic Violence as He Advocates for Children and view other highlights from this year’s SAC!
April 22, 2013
ANNOUNCING the recipients of the 2013 Diversity Leadership Award and John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award
The Diversity Leadership Award recognizes those individuals or entities who have demonstrated a commitment to promoting full and equal participation in the legal profession through the encouragement and inclusion of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and/or persons of differing sexual orientations and gender identities. This year’s award recipient is Larry D. Smith, a founding Partner of Southern Trial Counsel PLC in Orlando, FL. Learn more about our recipients and the Diversity Leadership Award.
The John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Awards are given to lawyers in public or private practice or to firms that have made a substantial commitment to public service through their accomplishments in significant pro bono litigation. This year, the recipients of the award are Larry Hammond from Osborn Maledon in Phoenix, AZ, and the law firm of Perkins Coie, LLP. Learn more about our recipients and the John Minor Wisdom Award.
The Awards will be presented during the Section Annual Conference in Chicago, IL from April 24-26, 2013.
March 18, 2013
- This year's Section Annual Conference, April 24-26 in Chicago, has it all. More programs. More networking events. More opportunities to connect with those who have similar interests. 70 CLE programs in over 20 tracks covering Trial Skills, Hot Topics, Securities, Experts, Corporate Counsel and more. Over 200 nationally known speakers. This conference is a must attend for those wanting the latest in litigation.
March 12, 2013
- Featured in the article “10 Outstanding YouTube Channels for Litigators and Litigation Support” by A2L Consulting, the Section of Litigation YouTube channel was included as one of the top 10 resources for litigators. If you have not already done so, subscribe to the Section of Litigation YouTube channel today!
March 7, 2013
- Celebrating The Promise of Gideon In 1963 the United States Supreme Court held in Gideon v. Wainwright that everyone charged with a felony offense had the Constitutional right to a lawyer -- a landmark decision that began with a simple handwritten petition from a prisoner named Clarence Gideon. The Section of Litigation has gathered information and resources on this ground-breaking case. A video documentary, the original petition for the case, case facts, oral arguments and decision, articles and other resources can now be viewed on the Celebrating The Promise of Gideon webpage.
February 4, 2013
- Section Annual Conference, April 24 - 26, 2013 at the JW Marriott in Chicago, IL Take advantage of early bird discounts now—$500 (or $350 if you have never attended). Early bird registration ends February 28, 2013.
- ABA Section of Litigation Appointments 2013 - 2014 All Section members are eligible for a leadership appointment. The online process is open, and the deadline for the submission of all applications is March 15, 2013. Please review the instructions and the application form for a leadership position. This form can also be used to nominate another Section member for a leadership position. To identify one or more positions that may be of interest to you or your nominee, you can review the Section's organizational chart. If you have problems completing the on-line application, please contact Kieshia Cobb at Kieshia.Cobb@americanbar.org.
- Watch the full recording of The 50th Anniversary of Gideon v. Wainwright program presented by the American Bar Association Section of Litigation on January 18, 2013 in Marco Island, FL. This decision recognized a constitutional right to the appointment of counsel for indigent criminal defendants charged with felonies. Mr. Gideon was in prison when he submitted his handwritten petition to the U.S. Supreme Court requesting counsel.
December 5, 2012
- Updated Committee Page. We have updated our committee page to make it easier to find substantive articles and committee business information. Take a look!
November 5, 2012
- SECOND EXTENDED DEADLINE! COUNCIL & OFFICER APPLICATION TO THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE Due to continued weather-related challenges faced by our members in the Northeast, the application deadline for Council and Officer Positions has been extended once again to COB Tuesday, November 13. Please submit your applications toJeralyn Millan-Traan at Jeralyn.MillanTraan@americanbar.org. To fill out and submit an application, please click here:Council & Officer Application Form.
- CALL FOR NOMINATIONS – 2013 Diversity Leadership Award and John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award You are invited to submit nominations for the 2013 Diversity Leadership Award and John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award. These prestigious awards will be presented during the Section Annual Conference in April 2013 in Chicago, IL.Deadline: December 4, 2012. Visit the Section website for more information:
October 22, 2012
- The Children’s Rights Litigation Committee hosted a Roundtable Discussion to kick off The Educational Civil Rights Accountability Project. The goal of the project is to work for strong monitoring and enforcement by the Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Education and the Department of Justice of discriminatory practices by school districts that lead to a school to prison pipeline. [Download the recording]
October 15, 2012
- Be sure to register for an upcoming Roundtable. Current topics include: Applying disparate impact in civil rights complaints to derail the school to prison pipeline and Hit the ground running: Business development and success tips for young attorneys.
September 17, 2012
- Live Streaming EventsWatch Lessons in Leadership from the Civil Rights Movement on 9/28 and Baseball, A Governor & Successful Trial Strategies in High Profile Cases on 9/29 for free via Live Streaming.
- The Children’s Rights Litigation Committee presented the teleconference Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder (FASD): What You Need to Know to Help Your Clients. This teleconference and supporting materials are now on-line.
September 13, 2012
- To help combat implicit bias in the justice system, the ABA Section of Litigation’s Task Force on Implicit Bias has launched a landmark website offering critical information and resources for ABA members and other stakeholders. Click here to view the Implicit Bias video.
August 29, 2012
- The Section of Litigation has a redesigned homepage! The redesigned homepage offers a new look and easier access to all of the content the Section has to offer. Every week, we post new materials to help you access news you can use, in way that is most convenient for you. The Section has hundreds of articles, podcasts, teleconferences and case notes to help you in your practice. Check the website frequently to take advantage of new features and exclusive content.
Focus on Attorney-Client Privilege: Each month we will focus on an area of interest to litigators. Our focus for August is the attorney/client privilege. We have listed some of the Section’s best resources here.
Trial Advocacy Video Tips: As a new benefit of membership, each week the Section will post one on the Section website short video tip from judges and experienced litigators. This month we have posted four to preview what is coming.
Roundtables: Section Committees are bringing you a new member benefit this year – free teleconferences with leading lawyers and judges on important issues within the committee’s area of expertise. The first of these is brought to you by the Intellectual Property Litigation Committee. Other committees will follow in months to come.
Sound Advice Audio: Starting in September, the Section will post three podcast channels devoted to essential subjects for every litigator. On the first Monday of the month, we will post a podcast on ethics; the second Monday will be evidence; the third Monday will be e-discovery/procedure.
Newsletters: Look for new committee newsletters in September from: Environmental; Securities; Young Advocate; Construction; and Intellectual Property
Committee Newsletters published in the last 30 days include: Alternate Dispute Resolution; Bankruptcy & Insolvency Litigation; Commercial & Business Litigation; International Litigation; Mass Torts Litigation; Real Estate Litigation; and Trial Evidence.
- ABA Section of Litigation Launches New Leadership Program The Section of Litigation is proud to announce the launch of the Leadership Fellows Program.
- Download the Litigation Journal App! To get the app, search the iTunes store, which is part of the iTunes application on a Mac or PC. Our app comes up first when you type in “Litigation.”