At its meeting held on March 14-15, 2014, the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar approved for Notice and Comment the following proposed revisions to the ABA Standards and Rules of Procedure for Approval of Law Schools:
- Interpretation 305-3 (Study Outside the Classroom)
- Interpretation 503-3 (Admission Test)
- Standard 505 (Granting of J.D. Degree Credit for Prior Law Study)
- Chapter 8 (Council Authority, Variances, and Amendments
- Rules of Procedure
A hearing on these proposed changes is scheduled for Friday, April 25, 2014. For complete details about the hearing, see the Notice and Comment memos.
Standards Review Committee
This committee is charged with reviewing proposed changes in or additions to Standards, Interpretations, Rules, Policies, Procedures, and Criteria. Proposed changes are referred to the committee by the Council for its review and recommendations.
- Comments Received During Comprehensive Review
(prior to Notice and Comment)
- Matters out for Notice and Comment
(includes Comments Received during Notice and Comment)
Comprehensive Review of the Standards
In September 2008, the Council of the Section of the Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar began a comprehensive review of the ABA Standards and Rules of Procedure for the Approval of Law Schools. The Council will rely on the work of its Standards Review Committee to complete this project, which we expect to take at least the next two academic years. We welcome and encourage comments, observations or suggestions about the efficacy and appropriateness of any of the Standards or Rules, or suggestions for new Standards or Rules. Comments can be sent to JR Clark.
- Statement of Principles of Accreditation and Fundamental Goals of a Sound Program of Legal Education
If you are interested in attending a meeting of the Standards Review Committee, please contact JR Clark for additional information.