Materials from the 2013 Meeting
Materials are organized by breakout program, with supplemental resources from Table Talk sessions added at the bottom of the page.
Access to Justice in Rural Areas
- Backgrounder on Skype Clinic (Northwest Colorado Legal Services Project & Colorado Legal Services)
- Advertising flyer: 2013 Skype Legal Advice Clinic (Northwest Colorado Legal Services Project & Northwest Colorado Bar Association)
- Rural Outreach Strategies - Montana
The Basics of Access to Justice Commissions
- Access to Justice Checklist — examples projects undertaken by ATJ Commissions throughout the U.S. (ABA)
- Screenshot: homepage of New Mexico Supreme Court Commission on Access to Justice website
- Access Brief: Access to Justice Commissions (the National Center for State Courts "Center on Court Access to Justice for All" project)
- Announcement: 2013 Grants to Promote Creation of New Access to Justice Commissions (ABA Resource Center for Access to Justice Initiatives, with grant funding from the Public Welfare Foundation and Kresge Foundation)
- Press Release: Access to Justice Commission Launches New Pro Bono Fellows Program (Massachusetts Court System)
- Article: "The Justice Gap — Ensuring Access to Justice is a Steep Climb in New Hampshire" (New Hampshire Bar Association)
- Info Sheet: "The Economic Impact of Civil Legal Services — Achieving Justice & Boosting New Hampshire's Economy"
- "The Economic Benefits of Legal Aid" (National Center for Access to Justice at Cardozo Law School)
- Summary: "Economic Impact of Civil Legal Services in Maryland — Access to Justice Boosts the State's Economy" (Maryland Access to Justice Commission)
- The Task Force to Expand Access to Civil Legal Services in New York's Report to the Chief Judge — November 2012
- Screenshot: State Access to Justice Commission — Resources on Structure, Development & Leadership
- Backgrounder: The District of Columbia Access to Justice Commission
Communicating Effectively about ATJ Commissions and Programs
- North Carolina Access to Justice Campaign
- "Grant Makers Need to Help the Poor Fight Legal Injustices" (Mary McClymont, Public Welfare Foundation, from The Chronicle of Philanthropy, 3/28/13)
- Brochure: "Natural Allies: Philanthropy and Civil Legal Aid" (Public Welfare Foundation)
Cy Pres and Other Fundraising Techniques Based on Rule Changes
- Pie chart: Civil Legal Aid Funding by Source (ABA)
- Financial Resources for Civil Legal Aid, 2012 (ABA)
- State-by-state Breakdown: Court Fees, Fines, and State Appropriations for Civil Legal Services (ABA)
- Using Attorney Registration Fees and Bar Dues to Fund Civil Legal Services (ABA)
- State-by-state Breakdown: State Level Bar Dues and Attorney Registration Fee Opt-outs/Add-ons, updated April, 2013 (ABA)
- Pro Hac Vice Funding for Civil Legal Services (ABA)
- Legislation and Court Rules Providing for Civil Legal Services to Receive Cy Pres Residuals, updated May, 2013 (ABA)
- "Cy Pres Awards, Legal Aid and Access to Justice: Key Issues in 2013 and Beyond" (Bob Glaves, Chicago Bar Foundation & Meredith McBurney, ABA; Spring 2013 edition of the Management Information Exchange Journal)
Examining the Civil Right to Counsel As We Celebrate 50 Years of Gideon
- Civil Right to Counsel Developments — updated April, 2013 (National Coalition for a Civil Right to Counsel)
Expanding Access through "Unbundled" Legal Services
- ABA Resolution 108, adopted 2/11/13: encouraging practitioners to consider limiting scope of representation when appropriate as a means of increasing access to legal services
Pro Bono — New Developments, New State Approaches
The Role of ATJ Commissions in Promoting Language Access and Overcoming Implicit Cultural Bias
Supporting Self-represented Litigants
- Access Brief: Self-Help Services (National Center for State Courts "Center on Court Access to Justice for All" project)
- Access Brief: Forms and Document Assembly (National Center for State Courts "Center on Court Access to Justice for All" project)
- "The Access to Justice 'Sorting Hat': Towards a System of Triage and Intake That Maximizes Access and Outcomes" (Richard Zorza, Denver University Law Review, 2012, Volume 89, Issue 4)
- Conference of Chief Justices Resolution In Support of Expanding Rule 2.2 of the ABA Model Code of Judicial Conduct to Reference Cases Involving Self-Represented Litigants
- "Turner v. Rogers — The Implications for Access to Justice Strategies" (Richard Zorza, Judicature, 2012, Volume 5, Number 6)
- Self-Represented Litigation Network — Principal Products
Supplemental Materials (Added June, 2013)
Nonprofit Program/Project Evaluation Resources
- A collaboration between the Urban Institute and the Center for What Works has produced the "Outcome Indicators Project."
- The Social Solutions website offers resources on demonstrating outcomes.
- The National Council of Nonprofits website has a "Self-Assessment and Evaluation of Outcomes" page.
- The aptly named Nonprofit Outcomes Toolbox website.
- The Perform Well website "provides measurement tools and practical knowledge that human services professionals can use to manage their programs’ day-to-day performance."
- The Maryland Nonprofits Association offers an article on "data dashboards", which are "tool[s] to quickly communicate the most important measures that the board and staff leadership need to review on a regular basis."
- The Foundation Center’s Tools and Resources for Assessing Social Impact site includes a wealth of links and assessment resources.
- Consultant Andy Robinson offers evaluation tools on his website.
Resources for Judges Interacting with Self-represented Litigants
- Agenda from a 2012 judicial conference in Massachusetts: "Best Practices in Managing Self-Represented Litigation: Guidelines, Strategies, and Bench Skills"
- Materials: "Best Practices in Managing Self-Represented Litigation: Guidelines, Strategies, and Bench Skills"
- The JusticeCorps program aims to assist California courts in meeting the needs of self-represented litigants by recruiting and training college students to work in legal self-help centers.
- The JusticeCorps model has more recently been implemented in Illinois also.
Strategic Planning for ATJ Commissions