Effective in early September 2016, the ABA will no longer be selling or supporting the My Health Care Wishes Pro app. Due to reasons of financial sustainability, the app will be removed from both the iTunes and Google Play iStores as of September 3rd, 2016.
The app will continue to be usable indefinitely on your phone, but it is important that you backup all your information. We highly recommend this if you have not previously done so. You must perform a Backup if you intend to upgrade to a new phone. The backing up process works only from iPhone to iPhone and from Android to Android phone.
To Backup your content - Click on the ‘Backup’ icon at bottom of screen and choose Backup. There will be two options Backup and Restore. Choose ‘Backup’ and the DropBox window will appear.
If you already have a DropBox Account click on Allow and sign in. All your information will be backed up. If you do not have a DropBox account, you will need to sign up for an account (it’s easy and it’s free) by choosing ‘Use a different account’ and signup.
To Restore your content - Click on the ‘Backup’ icon at bottom of screen and then choose ‘Restore’. You might see one or more backup files in the display. Choose which file you wish to use to restore your information, they are sorted by date. Click on the file you which to restore and your file will then be restored into the app.
Note: If the back-up files do not appear, try refreshing the display on bottom right and list should then appear. This works of course only if you previously performed a backup within the app.
Commission on Law and Aging
American Bar Association
FAQ Table of Contents
- Approved devices for the app
- Updating or adding content (not including documents)
- Documents (importing, sending, DropBox, renaming, etc.)
- Password protection and data security
- Deleting information
- Summary reports (exporting via email, text, or transferring via Bluetooth)
- General questions about advance directives and the app
- Social Security number and insurance information
APPROVED DEVICES FOR THE APP:
What iPhones are supported?
All iPhone devices and operating systems are supported.
Can I have the app on my iPad?
Yes and no. The app is designed only for the iPhone at this time. You can, however, download/purchase the iPhone-only version for iPad and it will work. But we are not supporting it at this time.
How do I add/update my information?
You can add or update information on any display at any time by tapping the Edit button in the top right corner of the screen. To save information, press the same button in the top right corner that now reads Save. When this is completed, you will be prompted to press OK.
How do I look up information?
Once content has been added, you can click on any section and view the information. If you would like to see a report of all information you have saved, click on the button in the top right corner of the screen.
How do I grab contact information?
When entering contact and address information for any contacts, proxies, physicians and other entities you can click Grab From Contacts to import the information from your contacts library on your smartphone. It will populate the screen with whatever information is available from your contact list. Then add or edit the record with any information required not included in your smartphone contacts. Then press the Save button.
How do I know if I completed adding information?
The Dashboard menu has four boxes related to sections. In the boxes for Health Care Wishes Overview, Medical Emergency Information, Health Insurance & Specialties you will see a red X if incomplete or a green check mark if completed. In the Advance Care Documents box, you will see a small circle showing the number of PDF/Word documents stored.
What if I want to leave a field blank and it prompts me to "Please Enter ___"?
Enter any words in that field like ‘none’ or ‘empty.’
How do I update to the newest version of My Care Wishes?
When an update is available, it will appear in the iTunes App Store and also on your iPhone.
Will I retain all my information when I get an update to the app?
Yes, all information gets automatically transferred as long as you update with the same log-in credentials.
Will I retain all my information when I get a new iPhone?
Your information can be backed up and imported into your new iPhone. Before you replace your phone, back up your information using the backup icon located at the bottom rigth of the screen. See Is there a backup for my information below.
Is there a backup process for my information?
Yes. Click on the Backup icon at bottom of screen and choose Backup. There will be two options Backup and Restore. Choose Backup and the DropBox window will appear.
If you already have a DropBox account click on Allow and sign in. All your information will be backed up.
If you do not have a DropBox account, you will need to sign up for an account (it’s easy and it’s free) by choosing ‘Use a different account’ and signup.
How do I restore my information from a backup?
As long as you used the backup feature within the app for backing up your content, then click on the ‘Backup’ icon at bottom of screen and then choose Restore. You might see one or more backup files in the display. Choose which file you wish to use to restore your information. Click on that file and your file will then be restored.
Note: If the list does not appear, refresh the display on bottom right and list should then appear.
How do I add additional persons to My Care Wishes?
Click the Add Another Person button on the bottom of the dashboard menu to add additional persons and their advance care planning information and documents onto your device. In this way, you will have your own and your loved ones’ information with you at all times.
How many additional persons can I add to My Care Wishes?
How many specialists, medical conditions, contacts, and health insurance companies can I add?
How do I get documents into the My Care Wishes app?
There are THREE ways to get documents into My Care Wishes. You can import documents from your PC/MAC via email, iTunes library, or DropBox.
1st - How do I import PDF/Word documents via email?
- You must have an email address associated with your iPhone and you must use the Apple mail app and not a third-party mail app such as gmail or Yahoo mail. (Note: Your iPhone email may be the same as your desktop/laptop email.)
- Draft and send an email to the iPhone address and attach your document(s)
- Make sure your documents are not too large to email
- If document is larger than 2.5 MB, you may want to optimize (shrink) the document to make it smaller using Adobe Acrobat. This will not reduce the quality of the PDF/Word document.
- Open email and click on a PDF/Word document image (this may take a little time). Sometimes you may have to repeat this step if the document is not already downloaded.
- The PDF/Word document will now be viewable on your iPhone
- Click the button in the top right corner of the screen
- Choose and click on Open in My Care Wishes icon which should appear. (If it doesn’t appear, scroll to next screen or to the right.)
- The My Care Wishes app should open and the document should appear.
- Click the Save button in the top right corner and choose the person to which to documents apply.
- When a person is selected, a checkmark will appear.
- Press the Save button in the top right corner to save the document in an individual’s folder.
- When prompted, press OK
(Note: If using iPod, please use the instructions in this FAQ under: How do I import PDF/Word documents via the iTunes Library?)
2nd - How do I import PDF/Word documents via the iTunes library?
You can import one or multiple documents from iTunes to My Care Wishes at any time, regardless of the size of the files. It is easier to use iTunes Import function if you have multiple large files.
- Connect your device (iPhone or iPod) to your PC or MAC
- Open iTunes on your PC/MAC
- Click on your iPhone/iPod device under DEVICES on the left side of iTunes menu
- Click Apps button on top of page to the right of Summary
- To assure you are on the correct page all your apps will appear
- Look down this page and go to the File Sharing section
- Under apps in File Sharing, scroll down and double click on My Care Wishes icon
- Click the Add… button at the bottom of My Care Wishes Documents
- After clicking this button, a Finder/Directory window will open
- Search and locate document(s) you wish to add and press Open
- The document(s) will copy in your device’s Document folder
- Then go to My Care Wishes App and on the Dashboard menu click on the Advance Care Plan Documents section
- When on the Advance Care Plan Document screen, tap on the “+” button on top banner. Two options will appear to import documents.
- Documents list from iTunes
- Choose Documents list from iTunes.
- A screen will open with the header Document List in iTunes, which includes a list of PDF/Word documents.
- Select the documents you wish to save and add to your iPhone, then press Save
- Document will be saved under the Advance Care Plan Documents Section
- When prompted, press OK.
3rd – How do I import PDF/Word documents using DropBox?
- On Advance Care Plan Documents screen, tap on the “+” button on top banner. Two options will appear to import documents.
- Documents list from iTunes
- Documents list from iTunes
- Select the DropBox option, a screen appears with login button for you to sync DropBox account with My Care Wishes app.
- As you tap on “Login” button, the application takes you to the website login for DropBox.
- As soon as you sync DropBox with My Care Wishes, the application starts downloading the documents available in My Care Wishes folder of DropBox. If nothing happens, hit the refresh button.
- Documents appear on the “Document List in DropBox” screen after downloading.
- From “Document List in DropBox” screen, select the documents to be added and tap the Save button.
- Once you tap on Save button all the selected documents will appear on "Advance Care Plan Documents" screen which you can view and share.
- When prompted, click OK.
To load files on DropBox you will need to download the DropBox application. To download DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com or download the app from the Apple iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8.
How do I rename my documents in My Care Wishes?
Go to your Advance Care Plan Documents Section where the PDF/Word documents are stored. Click on any document, click on Rename in the bottom left corner, and enter the new name of the document. When renamed, press OK. You may wish to add a date along with document name in the description field. If a document is replacing/updating an older one, it is recommended that you delete the out-of-date document.
What if my PDF/Word document(s) are already in my iPhone library?
Go to the location on your iPhone where the documents reside (i.e. iBooks, Pages, DropBox, PDF Viewer), click on the document, and email it back to your iPhone. See FAQ How do I import PDF/Word documents via email?
How do I email my PDF or Word documents to someone?
- Go to the Advance Care Plan Documents box
- Decide which document you wish to email and click on it
Note: You can only send one document at a time
- When viewing the document, you will notice the Email option at the bottom right of the screen
- Click on the Email button, and enter the email address
- The document will be sent in a PDF format as an attachment
How do I fax my PDF/Word documents to someone?
- Go to the Advance Care Plan Documents box
- Decide which document you wish to email and click on it Note: You can only fax one document at a time
- When viewing the document, you will notice the Fax option at the bottom middle of the screen
- Click on the Fax option
- Enter fax number, person you are sending to, your name, and a subject.
- Click OK when done, fax is on its way.
Note: The Fax service is free, sending via Fax should be used during an emergency!
Will I lose the data and document(s) I've entered if I replace my iPhone?
No, please see FAQ above Will I retain my information when I get a new iPhone? under the category Updating/Adding Content.
Is there a backup process for my documents?
Yes, please see Is there a backup for my information? under the category Updating/Adding Content above.
How do I restore my documents from a backup?
See How do I restore my information from a backup? under Updating or Adding Content above.
How do I delete a document?
Slide your finger (right to left) across the person’s name and click the Delete button
Do the advance medical directive documents need to be in a set file format?
PDF is the recommended format over a Word file format for these documents because such documents require signatures and often times notarization to be valid. For any other personal instructions you have for loved ones, these Word documents can be added and don’t necessarily need to be in PDF format.
How do I convert my hard copy (paper) documents to PDF on a scanner?
If you own a scanner: Place the hard copy document on the scanner attached to your PC/MAC, scan into PDF format and name the document to save. You may want to add a date along with document name in the description field. When saved on your desktop or a file folder, you can then email the document, transfer the document via DropBox or go to iTunes and import the document(s) into My Care Wishes (see FAQ “How do I get documents into the My Care Wishes App?”). It is recommended that you delete any out-of-date documents.
If you do not own a scanner: Contact a friend, a family member, or your estate planner and ask them to scan the documents into PDF format for you. Send them a hardcopy to scan and they can email them directly to your smartphone email address. We recommend optimizing the PDF to shrink the size of the file.
How large can the PDF/Word file be to import?
It is recommended that a file be no larger than 2.5 MB.
How do I print a copy of My Care Wishes information?
Printing directly from the iPhone or Android device is not yet available. My Care Wishes does not currently support printing. The easiest way to print copies of the summary report or your PDF/Word documents is to email them to your PC/MAC and then print.
How secure is my personal information?
You are assured of complete confidentiality because the data resides only the smartphone (yours, your proxy’s, or a loved ones). The data does not reside on any server or cloud service.
Is there a password protection to secure my information?
Yes, it is located in Preferences at the bottom of any screen.
You have the option to password protect your PDF documents and the option to password protect your Medical & Insurance Information.
Should I add password protection to My Care Wishes?
This is entirely your decision. My Care Wishes makes critical documents accessible in any medical situation or emergency. Unlike your estate planning documents such as your Will and Power of Attorney, advance care planning documents should not be locked in a safety deposit box or password-protected on your smartphone. This option is provided for those who want to secure this information regardless of the need for availability.
Note – we have a wallet card available in Resources or on the wallet card page online on which could include your passcode for emergency access.
How do I access the app if I forgot my password?
You can’t. When you set up your password, you will see this warning message: “Warning – Passwords cannot be retrieved if forgotten!” You will not be able to access the application if your password is forgotten. My Care Wishes app does not store any of your personal information on any computer, server, or in the cloud. It is recommended you send copies of all your documentation to your home email address for backup. You will need to delete My Care Wishes App and re-install.
How do I delete a person’s record?
Slide your finger (right to left) across the person’s name and click on the Delete button
I deleted My Care Wishes app. Do I need to get another app from the app store?
Yes, but there will be no additional charge. Go to the iTunes or Google Play store and then to your app page and click on Install. Since you previously obtained the app under the same user account, you can then download the app free of charge.
What is in Resources?
Resources include printable wallet cards, a blank copy of the Summary Information Sheet, and three PDFs and two URLs related to the ABA power of attorney form, consumer toolkit, proxy guide, and state-specific advance directive.
How do I access Resources?
Click on the Resources button located at the bottom of the Dashboard display.
How do I export (email, text, or fax) Summary reports to someone? (Excluding PDF/Word documents)
- From the Dashboard menu with the four large square boxes, press the button in the top right corner of screen
- A PDF document will appear showing a summary report of ALL the information entered
- Press the button again in top right corner
- Three options will appear: Email, Text, or Fax
- To Email – click on Email option and enter an email address
- To Text – click on Text Message option and enter a mobile number (when texting the message may be broken up into several text messages due to the length of the record)
- To Fax – click on Fax option and enter fax number, person you are sending to, your name, and a subject. Click OK when done and your fax is on its way.
Note: The Fax service is free. Sending via Fax should be used during an emergency!
Notes: You can also go to any of these three individual sections: Health Care Wishes Overview, Medical Emergency Information, or Health Insurance & Specialties and email/text message any one of these.
We recommend you email the Summary report to yourself for backup in case you delete the app in error.
Who should have an advance directive?
Anyone 18 and older can have and should have an advance directive or appoint a health care power of attorney/proxy.
Where is an advance directive on the My Care Wishes app for me to complete?
You should already have completed an advance directive that you can then store on the app and share with others.
Resources include two URLs related to the ABA power of attorney form, consumer toolkit, proxy guide, and state-specific advance directive.
Where should My Care Wishes app be located on the smartphone?
The App should be placed on one of the screens easily visible and NOT located within a subdirectory. Preferably, the app should appear in the top left of the first screen.
How does a hospital or physician know I have my advance care plan on my smartphone?
A PDF Wallet Card is available for downloading in Resources for the Wallet Card. Our hope is that in the near future, health care professionals will look on the smartphone for this app.
What is the difference between POA (Power of Attorney) and HCPOA (Health Care Power of Attorney)?
An HCPOA (Health Care Power of Attorney) gives the attorney in fact the power to make medical decisions for (but not handle the financial affairs of) the grantor.
A POA (Power of Attorney) gives the attorney in fact the power to handle the financial affairs of (but not medical decisions for) the grantor.
What if I am registered with the U.S. Living Will Registry or another registry that is storing my documents?
You should call and ask them to send you a PDF copy of these documents to your smartphone email address and load them into My Care Wishes.
What is a POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Program and Form?
For a description go to: www.polst.org/. For program information by State go to: www.polst.org/programs-in-your-state/
The identification number on the Medicare card uses the Social Security Number (SSN). How can I prevent theft of my SSN if I record this information on the app?
You can lock the entire app, lock the medical and insurance information only, leave off the last four digits of the SSN, or put XXXX for the last four digits.
I recorded my Social Security Number (SSN) on my advance directive document. How can I keep this safe from fraud?
You can either lock the app, leave off the last four digits of the SSN, black out the SSN, or put XXXX for the last four digits. The advance directive will still remain valid.