If you cannot find the answer to your question in the FAQs,
please contact Customer Support directly via this web form.
FAQ Table of Contents
- Approved devices for the app
- Screen functions and access
- Updating or adding content (not including documents)
- Documents (importing, sending, DropBox, renaming, etc.)
- Password protection and data security
- Deleting information
- Summary reports (exporting via email, text, or transferring via Bluetooth)
- General questions about advance directives and the app
- Social Security number and insurance information
What Android smartphones are supported?
Android OS supported 2.2 through 4.x. Smartphones supported include:
- Samsung Galaxy S3 through S5,
- HTC Nexus One series,
- Nexus 5,
- LG G2 and G3.
All other Android devices may work properly but are not supported on My Health Care Wishes app.
Can I have the app on my Android tablet or Samsung Note?
Yes and no. You can but the layout is set for an Android phone, and so it won’t necessarily have the same look as on your phone. But we are not supporting it at this time.
How do I access Home, Preferences, Support, and Backup?
These are available when pressing the ‘Settings’ button (typically a key or symbol). The ‘Settings’ button is usually located along the bottom of the phone as 3 dots on the bottom right or small boxes/lines on bottom left. By clicking on Home you can always get back to the Home screen. Click on any of these for additional information.
How do I go back to a previous screen?
Use the back key located at the bottom of the phone. The button looks like a curved arrow facing left. Click on this key to take you to the previous screen.
How do I add/update my information?
You can add or update information on any display at any time by tapping the Edit button in the top right corner of the screen. To save information, press the same button in the top right corner that now reads Save. When this is completed, you will be prompted to press OK.
How do I look up information?
Once content has been added, you can click on any section and view the information. If you would like to see a report of all information you have saved, click on the button in the top right corner of the screen.
How do I grab contact information?
When entering contact and address information for any contacts, proxies, physicians and other entities you can click Grab From Contacts to import the information from your contacts library on your smartphone. It will populate the screen with whatever information is available from your contact list. Then add or edit the record with any information required not included in your smartphone contacts. Then press the Save button.
How do I know if I completed adding information?
The Dashboard menu has four boxes related to sections. In the boxes for Health Care Wishes Overview, Medical Emergency Information, Health Insurance & Specialties you will see a red X if incomplete or a green check mark if completed. In the Advance Care Documents box, you will see a small circle showing the number of PDF/Word documents stored.
What if I want to leave a field blank and it prompts me to "Please Enter ___"?
Enter any words in that field like ‘none’ or ‘empty.’
How do I update to the newest version of My Care Wishes?
Whenever there is an update in the version, Google Play automatically notifies users on the phone (from the Google Play Store).
Will I retain all my information when I get an update to the app?
Yes, all information gets automatically transferred as long as you update with the same login credentials.
Will I retain all my information when I get a new smartphone?
Your information can be backed up and imported into your new smartphone. Before you replace your smartphone, back up your information using the back-up icon in Settings at the bottom of the screen. See “Is there a back-up process for my information” below.
Is there a back-up process for my information?
Yes. Click on the Settings icon at bottom of screen and choose Backup (see ‘How do I access Home, Preferences, Support and Backup?’). There will be two buttons, Backup & Restore. Select Backup and the DropBox window will appear.
If you already have a DropBox account, click on Allow and sign in. All your information will be backed up.
If you do not have a DropBox account, you will need to sign up for an account (it’s easy and it’s free) by choosing ‘Use a different account’ and signup.
How do I restore my information from a backup?
As long as you used the Backup feature within the app for backing up your content, then click on the ‘Backup’ icon within settings at bottom of screen and then choose Restore. You might see one or more backup files in the display. Choose which file you wish to use to restore your information. Click on that file, your file will then be restored.
Note: If the list does not appear, refresh the display on bottom right and list should then appear.
How do I add additional persons to My Care Wishes?
Click the Add Another Person button on the bottom of the dashboard menu to add additional persons and their advance care planning information and documents onto your device. In this way, you will have your own and your loved ones’ information with you at all times.
How many additional persons can I add to My Care Wishes?
How many specialists, medical conditions, contacts, health insurance companies can I add?
How do I get documents into the My Care Wishes app?
There are TWO ways to get documents into My Care Wishes. You can import PDF/Word Documents from your PC/MAC via email or DropBox
1st - How do I import PDF/Word documents via email?
- You must have an email address associated with your Android device. (Note: Your Android email may be the same as your desktop/laptop email.)
- Draft and send an email to the Android email address and attach your document(s)
- Make sure your documents are not too large to email
- If document is larger than 2.5 MB, you may want to optimize (shrink) the document to make it smaller using Adobe Acrobat. This will not reduce the quality of the PDF/Word document.
- Open email to see PDF/Word document file with paperclip showing on left side. Based on which version of Android OS is being used there are 2 ways to save documents to Download folder:
- click on the Settings button to the right and ‘Save’ to Download folder (usually default folder). This option appears in all OS versions. OR
- click on image and ‘Save’ document to Download folder (usually default folder).
- The attached document by default is downloaded to the SD card located in the download folder within the files section.
- Once you clicked the Download button, the attached file will render in the compatible third-party application, in most cases Adobe Reader is the default. There are other third-party PDF software packages available such as “KingSoftOffice” which will do the same thing. You should be able to retrieve the documents from the Downloads folder.
- Go back to My Care Wishes app, go to the Dashboard menu with the 2 or 4 large square boxes and go to your Advance Care Plan Documents section where the PDF/Word documents are stored and click on the ‘Add’ Button top of the screen to add the downloaded document.
- The Add button will go to the file section on your Android where the PDF/Word documents reside, which in most cases is the “Download’ folder/directory. In the Downloads directory click on the document you wish to add and it will be added to your document section in My Care Wishes app.
2nd - How do I import PDF/Word documents using DropBox?
- On Advance Care Plan Documents screen, tap on the “Add” button on top banner. Two options will appear to import documents.
- SD card (location of documents is usually found in the downloads folder
- Select the DropBox option, a screen appears to create a folder.
- Choose Allow to sync DropBox account with my Care Wishes app.
- As you tap on “Login” button, the application takes you to the website login for DropBox.
- Once sync DropBox with My Care Wishes, the application starts downloading the documents available in the MHCW or app folder of DropBox. If nothing happens, hit the refresh button.
- Documents appear on the “Document List in DropBox” screen after downloading.
- From “Document List in DropBox” screen, select the documents to be added and tap the Save button.
- Once you tap on Save button all the selected documents will appear on "Advance Care Plan Documents" screen which you can view and share.
- When prompted, click OK.
Note: To load files on DropBox you will need to download the DropBox application. To download DropBox, pealse visit: https://www.dropbox.com or download the app from Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en.
How do I rename my documents in My Care Wishes?
Go to your Advance Care Plan Documents Section where the PDF/Word documents are stored. Click on any document, click on Rename in the bottom left corner, and enter the new name of the document. When renamed, press OK. You may wish to add a date along with document name in the description field. If a document is replacing/updating an older one, it is recommended that you delete the out-of-date document.
What if my PDF/Word document(s) are already in my phone in the downloads folder/directory?
- Go to your “Downloads” folder/directory on your device.
- Now go back to My Care Wishes App, go to the Dashboard menu with the two or four large square boxes, go to your Advance Care Plan Documents section where the PDF/Word documents are stored and click on the ‘Add’ Button top of screen to add the downloaded document.
- The Add button will go to the file section on your Android where the PDF/Word documents reside, which in most cases is the “Download’ folder/directory.
- In the Downloads directory click on the document you wish to add and it will be added to your document section in My Care Wishes App.
How do I send my PDF or Word documents to someone?
- Go to your Advance Care Plan Documents section.
- Click on the document you wish to send to someone and choose Email, Fax, or Bluetooth:
- Choosing Email will automatically open a Gmail message with the document already attached, just add an email address and send.
- Choosing Fax option then enter fax number, person you are sending to, your name, and a subject. Click OK when done and you fax is on its way.
- Choosing Bluetooth (Transfer)– click on Bluetooth icon, and the Android will search for devices. Once device is found it may ask to pair devices with a numerical code. When done, it will transfer the file to your desktop/laptop computer or another phone.
Will I lose the data and document(s) I entered if I replace my Android phone?
Please see FAQ above Will I retain my information when I get a new smartphone? Under category Updating/Adding Content.
Is there a backup process for my documents?
Yes, please see FAQ above Is there a backup process for my information? under the category Updating/Adding Content.
How do I restore my information from a backup?
See How do I restore my information from a backup? under Updating/Adding Content above.
Do the advance medical directive documents need to be in a set file format?
PDF is the recommended format over a Word file format for these documents because such documents require signatures and often times notarization to be valid. For any other personal instructions you have for loved ones, these Word documents can be added and don’t necessarily need to be in PDF format.
How do I convert my hard copy (paper) documents to PDF on a scanner?
If you own a scanner: Place the hard copy document on the scanner attached to your PC/MAC, scan into PDF format and name the document to save. You may want to add a date along with document name in the description field. When saved on your desktop or a file folder, you can then email the document to your phone, transfer the document via DropBox into My Care Wishes (see FAQ “How do I get documents into the My Care Wishes App?”). It is recommended that you delete any out-of-date documents.
If you do not own a scanner: Contact a friend, a family member, or your estate planner and ask them to scan the documents into PDF format for you. Send them a hardcopy to scan and they can email them directly to your smartphone email address. We recommend optimizing the PDF to shrink the size of the file.
How large can the PDF/Word file be to import?
It is recommended that a file be no larger than 2.5 MB.
How do I print a copy of My Care Wishes information?
Printing directly from the iPhone or Android device is not yet available. My Care Wishes does not currently support printing. The easiest way to print copies of the summary report or your PDF/Word documents is to email them to your PC/MAC and then print.
How secure is my personal information?
You are assured of complete confidentiality because the data resides only the smartphone (yours, your proxy’s, or a loved ones). The data does not reside on any server or cloud service.
Is there a password protection to secure my information?
Yes, it is located in Preferences at the bottom of any display.
You have the option to password protect your PDF documents and the option to password protect your Medical & Insurance Information.
Should I add password protection to My Care Wishes?
This is entirely your decision. My Care Wishes makes critical documents accessible in any medical situation or emergency. Unlike your estate planning documents such as your Will and Power of Attorney, advance care planning documents should not be locked in a safety deposit box or password-protected on your smartphone. This option is provided for those who want to secure this information regardless of the need for availability.
Note – we have a wallet card available in Resources or on the wallet card page online on which could include your passcode for emergency access.
How do I access the app if I forgot my password?
You can’t. When you set up your password, you will see this warning message: “Warning – Passwords cannot be retrieved if forgotten!” You will not be able to access the application if your password is forgotten. My Care Wishes app does not store any of your personal information on any computer, server, or in the cloud. It is recommended you send copies of all your documentation to your home email address for backup. You will need to delete My Care Wishes App and re-install.
How do I delete a person’s record?
Click on the trash icon on the right side of a person’s name, and then click OK.
I deleted My Care Wishes app. Do I need to get another app from the app store?
Yes, but there will be no additional charge. Go to the Google Play store and then to your app page and click on Install. Since you previously obtained the app under the same user account, you can then download the app free of charge.
What is in Resources?
Resources include printable wallet cards, a blank copy of the Summary Information Sheet, and three PDFs and two URLs related to the ABA power of attorney form, consumer toolkit, proxy guide, and state-specific advance directive.
How do I access Resources?
Click on the Resources button located at the bottom of the Dashboard display.
How do I export (email, text, fax, or transfer via Bluetooth) Summary reports to someone? (Excluding PDF/Word documents)
- From the Dashboard menu with the four large square boxes, press the button in the top right corner of screen. A window appears offering four options – Email, Text, Fax, View, and Bluetooth.
- To Email – click on Email option and enter an email address.
- To Text – click on Text Message option and enter a mobile number (when texting, the message may be broken up into several text messages due to the length of the record).
- To Fax – click on Fax option and enter fax number, person you are sending to, your name, and a subject. Click OK when done and your fax is on its way.
- To use Bluetooth transfer – click on Bluetooth icon, and the Android will search for devices, once found it may ask to pair devices with a numerical code. Once done, it will transfer the file to your desktop/laptop computer or another phone.
- To Email – click on Email option and enter an email address.
Notes: You can also go to any of these three individual sections: Health Care Wishes Overview, Medical Emergency Information, or Health Insurance & Specialties and email/text message any one of these.
We recommend you email the Summary report to yourself for backup in case you delete the app in error.
Who should have an advance directive?
Anyone 18 and older can have and should have an advance directive or appoint a health care power of attorney/proxy.
Where is an advance directive on the My Care Wishes app for me to complete?
You should already have completed an advance directive that you can then store on the app and share with others.
Resources include two URLs related to the ABA power of attorney form, consumer toolkit, proxy guide, and state-specific advance directive.
Where should My Care Wishes app be located on the smartphone?
The App should be placed on one of the screens easily visible and NOT located within a subdirectory. Preferably, the app should appear in the top left of the first screen.
How does a hospital or physician know I have my advance care plan on my smartphone?
A PDF Wallet Card is available for downloading in Resources for the Wallet Card. Our hope is that in the near future, health care professionals will look on the smartphone for this app.
What is the difference between POA (Power of Attorney) and HCPOA (Health Care Power of Attorney)?
An HCPOA (Health Care Power of Attorney) gives the attorney in fact the power to make medical decisions for (but not handle the financial affairs of) the grantor.
A POA (Power of Attorney) gives the attorney in fact the power to handle the financial affairs of (but not medical decisions for) the grantor.
What if I am registered with the U.S. Living Will Registry or another registry that is storing my documents?
You should call and ask them to send you a PDF copy of these documents to your smartphone email address and load them into My Care Wishes.
What is a POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Program and Form?
For a description go to: www.polst.org/. For program information by State go to: www.polst.org/programs-in-your-state/
The identification number on the Medicare card uses the Social Security Number (SSN). How can I prevent theft of my SSN if I record this information on the app?
You can lock the entire app, lock the medical and insurance information only, leave off the last four digits of the SSN, or put XXXX for the last four digits.
I recorded my Social Security Number (SSN) on my advance directive document. How can I keep this safe from fraud?
You can either lock the app, leave off the last four digits of the SSN, black out the SSN, or put XXXX for the last four digits. The advance directive will still remain valid.