Health Law Section Podcasts
Health Law Section Podcast Series | Free to the General Public
Five Big Myths of Advance Care Planning and How to Stay Anchored in Reality (4/13/10) | Podcast
Click here to download slides and materials for the teleconference.
Sponsored by the ABA Health Law Section, the Senior Lawyers Division and the ABA Commission on Law and AgingThis program addresses the five biggest myths that plague advance care planning and how to steer clear of them and make advance care planning more effective.Myths:
- People should use their state’s official advance directive form(s).
- Your advance directive should include as specific instructions as possible.
- Advance Directives are legally binding so doctors have to follow them.
- Doing everything possible for dad means keeping dad alive at all costs.
- A written advance directive is better than talk.
- Richard Payne, MD, Professor of Medicine and Divinity, Esther Colliflower Director, Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, Duke University Divinity School
- Charles P. Sabatino, J.D., Director of the American Bar Association’s Commission on Law and Aging
MP3 Download InstructionsRight-click (PC) or control-click (Mac) here or on the link above and select Save Target As (PC) or Download Link To Disk (Mac) to download the complete MP3 file to your computer.
Produced: April 13, 2010
Audio Program File Format: MP3
Duration: 80 minutes
MP3 File Size: 36 MB