Earth Day Project
Please join the Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (SEER) in celebrating Earth Day on Monday, April 22, 2013. This is an opportunity for all of us to recommit ourselves to the ideals that we all cherish. Earth Day reminds and presents us with the opportunity to galvanize individuals, corporations, and governments to join together to create a greener and healthier environment for ourselves and our future generations.
The Section is sponsoring the One Million Trees Project-Right Tree for the Right Place at the Right Time nationwide public service project. Beginning in March 2009, the project calls on ABA members to contribute to the goal of planting one million trees across the United States by 2014 – both by planting trees themselves and by contributing to the partnering tree organizations.
You can help the environment by:
1. Planting and Registering a Tree: Get out and get dirty—with your colleagues, a local non-profit, law students, or your neighbors! After you plant your tree(s), register them towards our goal here.
2. Contributing to Our Partners: If you can't plant a tree in person, please consider making a contribution to one of the Section's partnering tree organizations. For as little as a dollar, a tree will be planted on behalf of our One Million Trees Project.
3. Participating in our "Likes" for a Cause Campaign on Facebook:
If you haven't already, please "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ABAEnvLaw to stay up on Section news, events, and promotions. For the month of April, the Section will donate $0.50 for every new, unique page "like" to go towards tree plantings.
4. Recognizing the Efforts of Others: Nominate the accomplishments of a person, organization, and/or group that has distinguished itself in environmental, energy, resources stewardship. Learn more about the various awards that recognize distinguished achievement in environmental law, dedication to diversity and justice, outstanding law school and state bar programs, and exceptional achievement by federal, state, tribal, or local government lawyers. Nominations for these awards are due by May 13, 2013.
5. Enrolling in the ABA-EPA Law Office Climate Challenge: The Section and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have designed a program to encourage law offices to take simple, practical steps to become better environmental and energy stewards. To learn more about the challenge and enroll, please visit the ABA-EPA Law Office Climate Challenge page.
6. Purchasing a Carbon Offset: The Section estimates that the average attendee will generate approximately one metric ton of carbon emissions attending one our conferences. Help offset your carbon footprint by adding the cost of a one-ton carbon credit—only $20—when you register for the upcoming 31st Annual Water Law Conference in Las Vegas or the 21st Fall Conference in Baltimore. These funds will be applied by our partner Native Energy towards verifiable emission offset projects.
Remember to join us in creating a greener environment on Earth Day and everyday!