Juvenile Justice Programs
The Coalition's Overrepresentation Committee’s goals are to (a) prevent juveniles of color from entering the juvenile justice system; and (b) rescue juveniles of color from the justice system. The Coalition's successful “Overrepresentation of Juveniles of Color in the Juvenile Justice System” has held six educational programs over the past two years that focus on strategies and programs that “save our youth” from the juvenile justice system. The Coalition will continue sponsoring educational programs and developing strategies that prevent young people of color from being trapped in the juvenile justice system.
Juvenile Justice Programs
- “ From Foster Care to the Pipeline ” (San Francisco, CA, ABA Annual Meeting, August 2007) - The Coalition featured an in-depth discussion on how at-risk-youth may transition from foster care to the pipeline in a meaningful way. Experts were available to provide strategies, resources and specific how-to programs that assist these youth in becoming a part of the diverse pipeline to law schools.
Download handouts here .
- “ Roundtable Discussion with Dr. Ronald Archer and the Place of Hope Project” (Miami, FL ABA Midyear Meeting, February 2007) - The Coalition held an insightful and soul searching discussion with Dr. Archer and the Executive Director of Place of Hope regarding the issues confronting at-risk-youth that are aging out of foster care. There are no programs that help these individuals make the transition from total dependency to total independence. The Place of Hope program is one of the few entities in the country that works directly with youth in solving these problems.
- “ Saving Our Youth from the Juvenile Justice System” (Honolulu, HI, August 2006) - This program addressed an array of issues confronting at-risk-youth” and the juvenile justice system including substance abuse, mental health, suicide, juvenile sex offenders, human trafficking and the growing number of gangs.
Links to Relevant Materials
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES: The links on this page will open a new window. The linked sites are not under the control of the ABA Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice and the ABA Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to these sites. The ABA Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement of the site by the American Bar Association or the ABA Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice.
Building Blocks for Youth: Resources for Disproportionate Minority Confinement/Overrepresentation of Youth of Color
- Key Studies
- Fact Sheet: Punitive Policies Hit Youth of Color Hardest
- Fact Sheet: Disproportionate Minority Confinement
- No Turning Back: Promising Approaches to Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Justice System
National Juvenile Defender Center: “ The Use and Abuse of Juvenile Detention: Understanding Detention and its Uses ”
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention: “ Minorities in the Juvenile Justice System”