Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Welcome to the 2013-14 Section Year!
I hope all of you enjoyed the summer season and are recharged and ready for a terrific year ahead. As we all know, the world of antitrust and consumer protection is extremely active in the U.S. and around the globe. The Section's programming plans for the year are fittingly ambitious, and I want to highlight some of them here.
We are starting things off with an exciting new conference: the Merger Practice Workshop at George Washington University on September 12. This demonstration-based program, co-chaired by Leah Brannon and Art Burke, will provide insight into what really happens in merger reviews - including in closed-door government meetings and when third parties advocate against a deal. The program's hypothetical merger is between a social networking site ("Friendstop") and a local listings provider ("Hiplisting"). The one-day conference will cover all phases of the merger process, including:
- pre-signing antitrust counseling
- negotiating regulatory deal covenants
- coordinating international competition filings
- second request compliance
- advocacy to competition authorities
- negotiating remedies and consent decrees
The Merger Practice Workshop will be a superb opportunity to acquire practical insights into the merger review process from some of the most experienced practitioners in the government (both FTC and DOJ), corporate and private practice sectors. For more information and to register, go to http://ambar.org/atmergers.
The rest of the year features an equally impressive line-up of "don't-miss" Section conferences and networking opportunities - for the second year in a row, occurring on three continents. I urge you to mark your calendars now and make plans to attend the following events:
- Antitrust and Intellectual Property Conference at Stanford Law School on October 10, 2013
- Fall Forum in Washington, DC on November 14, 2013
- Next Generation of Antitrust Scholarship Conference in New York on January 17, 2014
- 10th International Cartel Workshop in Rome on February 19-21, 2014
- 62nd Annual Spring Meeting in Washington, DC on March 26-28, 2014
- Antitrust in Asia Conference in Beijing on May 22-23, 2014
We have an exciting year ahead of us, and I look forward to working with each of you to make it a successful one for the Section.
Christopher B. Hockett
Chair, Section of Antitrust Law 2013-2014