• CPO Corner
• E-Discovery and Digital Evidence Case Digest
• Meet the Rainmakers
• Nanotechnology for Promise or Peril?
• SciStatus Update
• Shifting Strategies for Protecting Music Online
• ABA Annual Meeting SciTech Events & CLE Programs
• Call to Action: CTC3 Articles Sought!
• Connect with SciTech's Linked In Group
• Join SciTech's Facebook Fan Page
• Order Forensic Science for the 21st Century
• Outreach in Abu Dhabi
• Register for Digital Law Conference
• Student Testimonial
2009 ABA Annual Meeting
July 29 - August 2, 2009
Seven Secrets Every Lawyer Must Know to Thrive, Even in a Recession
August 25, 2009 - August 25, 2009
Domestic Protection of Cleantech IP
September 15, 2009 - September 15, 2009
ABA Connection on Food Safety
September 15, 2009
Sponsored by ABA Journal and ABE Center on CLE
Arming for the Cleantech Revolution: The United States Prepares Landmark Federal and State Legislation to Save the Climate and the Economy
September 29, 2009
Digital Law Conference
September 23-24, 2009
San Jose, CA
The advancement of technology in the past decade has catapulted the prominence of electronic evidenc... Read More
This book provides you with a legal and practical approach to the new world of digital information. It has been described as a must have for litigation lawyers, corporate counsel and records managers who want to understand how to appropriately handle the digital information of an enterprise. Read more.
The SciTech Lawyer
The Section’s quarterly magazine features practical and timely articles on a diverse range of science and technology law issues. This issue focuses on biosecurity.
chair's message by ruth hill bro
What Pays the Best Interest?
In these trying financial times, it is difficult to find any investment that provides a good rate of return. Yet, there is one investment that has proven time after time to hold its value. As Benjamin Franklin noted, “If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”
These words are as true today as they were well over 200 years ago. One way to invest in knowledge is through the Section’s continuing legal education (CLE) programs, including the timely and cutting-edge sessions that will be presented at the ABA Annual Meeting:
- The free CLE Program “Science and Technology Law at the Intersection of National Recovery” on Friday, July 31st focuses on federal policy and funding in aid of national recovery that are driving unprecedented change in legal requirements for electronic health records, stem cell research, biosecurity, and sustainable energy. A new panelist has been added: Ivan Fong, General Counsel, U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Don’t miss the free CLE program “Seven Secrets Every Lawyer Must Know to Thrive, Even in a Recession” on Saturday, August 1st, which prepares attendees to thrive as a rainmaker, as a lawyer just starting a practice, or as a job candidate, even in this unprecedented economic climate.
- Other outstanding programs will focus on the cleantech revolution, technical standards issues in business transactions, neuroscience and its use in the courtroom, and copyright and online community legal issues.
I hope you will attend this upcoming ABA Annual Meeting and the Section’s CLE programs in addition to the Section’s social events. At the Section Luncheon on Friday, July 31st, we will feature several past Section Chairs as our speakers in honor of the Section’s 35th anniversary: Susan Nycum, Ray Ocampo, Ellen Flannery, and Ivan Fong.
Section members who are not attending the ABA Annual Meeting may access program materials for free from the Section homepage after the ABA Annual Meeting. Key points from each program will be highlighted in the winter issue of The SciTech Lawyer .
Two of our Annual Meeting programs will be available as CLE teleconferences in the months to come:
- “The Seven Secrets Every Lawyer Must Know to Thrive, Even in a Recession” will be available as a Section CLE teleconference on August 25th, from 12:00 -1:30 p.m. central time; go to http://www.abanet.org/cle/programs/t09sse1.html to register.
- “Arming for the Cleantech Revolution: The United States Prepares Landmark Federal and State Legislation to Save the Climate and the Economy” will be available as a Section CLE teleconference on September 29th, from 12:00-1:30 p.m. central time. Registration details will soon be available on the Section homepage.
More details about these and other teleconferences will be available on the Section homepage, under the Calendar of Events .
Another opportunity open to all Section members is SciTech’s new Cleantech and Climate Change Committee’s regular series of educational programs. Please visit www.abanet.org/scitech/ctc3 for more details. I encourage you to attend at least one of these programs to learn more about this hot area of the law.
The Section is committed to serving its members and to connecting students, young lawyers, and more seasoned practitioners, including through the Section's Facebook fan page and LinkedIn group. Join today to share new ideas and opportunities with colleagues and new friends.
Please take advantage of these opportunities to invest in knowledge (and invest in yourself ) – it may pay off in ways you never imagined.