Skills Training for Estate Planners CLE Program
July 11-15, 2011
New York Law School, New York
This is the ideal estate planning program for young or transitioning lawyers new to the practice! Space is limited for this popular annual program - early registration is advised.
Optional Sunday pre-program on Sunday, July 10, 2011
Review of the basics of estate tax, gift tax, GST tax and income taxation of trusts and estates. A must for attendees who need or want a refresher in these vital areas!
Topics to be covered:
Basic Fundamentals and Substantive Skills Development
- Marital deduction basics, including analysis of the use of disclaimers or partial QTIP elections, funding and fiduciary administration problems
- Charitable deduction planning, including use of computer software
- Analyzing inter vivos gifting, both basic and sophisticated transactions such as GRATs and QPRTs, including an analysis of when such techniques make sense
- Life insurance planning, particularly with respect to irrevocable insurance trusts and the practical aspects of product selection, premium financing, and due diligence along with GST considerations
- Deferred compensation and employee benefits, including beneficiary designation alternatives and drafting such designations
- Practical tips on planning with the generation-skipping transfer tax
- Preparing flexible trusts with an eye to the future
Technical Skills Development
- Tax compliance: hands-on manual preparation to learn how the tax law works and how software can produce errors
- Fiduciary administration and accounting, and the tax aspects of postmortem and other fiduciary administration
- Valuation in practice, including how to select valuation experts and analyze their work
- Exposure to software programs and web sites that assist in the analysis of estate assets and facilitate construction of planning models
Developing Ethical Attitudes
- Ethics instruction in practical settings, particularly including representations of spouses and fiduciaries
38 to 39 total 60-minute CLE hours
Space is limited for this program! For pre-registration, please contact Michael Kesler at (312) 988-5260 or email@example.com. Learn more about this program on the Skills Training for Estate Planners webpage.