GPSolo January/February 2007
The Perfect Home Office: Thriving and Making It Work
Deciding to Set Up a Home Office
- Will it promote the lifestyle you desire?
- Limitations of home office—zoning laws
- Do you have room for it?
- Can you afford it?
Planning and Design of Home Office
- Purpose for home office
- Zoning compliance
- Space design
- Electrical design
- High-speed Internet
- Telephone system
- Remote office technology
- Filing system
Making It Work
- Adapt office to your lifestyle
- Maintain office boundaries
- Do not disturb your neighbors
- Avoid workaholism—remember why you started your home office in the first place.
Irvin V. Cantor practices with Cantor Arkema, P.C., in Richmond, Virginia. He can be reached at email@example.com. This outline originally appeared as a presentation at the First Virginia CLE Solo and Small Firm Institute, © 2006 Virginia CLE. Reprinted by permission.