GPSolo December 2006
Ready Resources in Disaster & Recovery
The Essential Formbook: Comprehensive Management Tools for Lawyers, Volume IV
By Gary A. Munneke and Anthony E. Davis (ABA Law Practice Management Section; 2004; PC 5110424V4; $199.95)
Part I of this volume, “Disaster Planning and Recovery,” covers the nature of disaster, planning for disaster, and the recovery afterward. The volume presents more than 50 valuable checklists, worksheets, and lists—including a disaster recovery plan outline. The accompanying CD-ROM includes helpful forms you can easily customize to meet the specifications of any firm.
The Lawyer’s Guide to Records Management and Retention
By George C. Cunningham and John C. Montaña Davis (ABA Law Practice Management Section; 2006; PC 5110574; $99.95)
This book is intended to address the issues arising from the need to manage records and information in a law office—make sure your files are in order before disaster strikes.
Are You Ready? What Lawyers Need to Know about Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery
By Ernest B. Abbott et al. (ABA Center for CLE and Section of State and Local Government Law; 2005; PC V05AYRDVD; $25)
This CLE DVD package was produced to help local communities and the lawyers who advise them become better able to plan for, manage, respond to, and recover from potential disasters.
Communication in Crisis: Effective Communication at All Levels in Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery
By Claire Bassett et al. (ABA Center for CLE and Health Law Section; 2006; PC CET06CCEC; $150; ABA member price $135)
This CLE audio CD package addresses various forms of communication, including information technology systems, dissemination of information to health care facilities and the public, collaboration with other health care institutions and governmental agencies, communication in volunteer management, and legal liability.
Developing a Disaster Plan for Your Business Clients and Your Firm
By Leonardo Aldecocea et al. (ABA Center for CLE and Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; 2006; PC CET06DDPC; $150; ABA member price $135)
This CLE audio CD package will guide you through the development of a disaster and business continuity plan from the designation of coordinators and plan activation through ensuring legal compliance and post-disaster decisions regarding reopening.
GP|Solo Division Links
For all the GP|Solo Division’s tech-related links, visit the GP|Solo Resources page.
Other Links from the ABA and Beyond
- ABA’s Katrina-related reports and initiatives
- Ernest B. Abbott’s and Otto J. Hetzel’s Checklist for State and Local Government Attorneys to Prepare for Possible Disasters (hosted by the ABA State and Local Government Law Section)
- After Disaster Strikes: A Checklist (ABA Professional Liability Fund)
- Disaster Recovery for Law Firms excerpted from Gary A. Munneke’s and Anthony E. Davis’s Essential Formbook (see above)
- Suzanne Rose’s 2005 ABA Annual Convention presentation, Steps to Take in Recovery Effort: From Planning to Living the Reality
- California Handbook for Disaster Legal Services
- Laura A. Calloway’s Preparing for the Unexpected: Anticipate and Plan for Law Office Disasters
- Ellen Freedman’s Preparing for and Recovering from Disaster
- Virginia Grant’s Emergency Action Planning for Law Firms: What to Do Before and after Disaster Strikes
- Carol M. Langford’s Disaster Legal Services, a Guide for the Private Bar
- J. R. Phelps’ What Lawyers Should Do after a Hurricane
- Public Service in a Time of Crisis, a report on the legal community’s response to September 11