GPSolo Magazine - December 2005
Why Become a Division?By Dwight L. SmithNot too long ago, Spencer Johnson, M.D., caused a stir among organizations throughout the country with Who Moved My Cheese?, his simple, easily read, and enormously popular book about dealing with change. Among the primary tenets of the book are these:
- Change happens—they keep moving the cheese.
- We must adapt to change quickly—the quicker we let go of the old cheese, the sooner we can enjoy the new cheese.
- We should enjoy change—savor the adventure and taste of the new cheese.
- We should be ready to quickly change again and again—because they keep moving the cheese.
- To be the ABA’s knowledge center about general practice, solo, and small firm lawyers.
- To share the knowledge we develop with everyone in the ABA who aspires to serve these lawyers.
- To bring the full panoply of ABA services and products to general practice, solo, and small firm lawyers in ways that are easily accessible, easy to use, and focused on their needs.
- To bring the Division’s expertise to the creation, packaging, sale, and support of our products and services for members.
- To be the portal for general practice, solo, and small firm lawyers to the entire ABA and all its diverse resources.
- To be the voice of general practice, solo, and small firm lawyers so that the views of this large, vital, and important segment of our profession are well represented and heard.