Dear Fellow GP Solo Member:
On the heels of the revelry of the 2008 Spring Meeting in New Orleans, we round the corner and head for the finish line of another bar year. I can’t help but think that we can still accomplish a great deal by the Annual Meeting in NYC, August 7-12.
Of course, accomplishment is a relative term, however, in these next few weeks we will:
- Produce another practical GP Solo magazine, this time on Child Welfare and Juvenile Justice, chock full of practical ways you can simplify your practice in that area.
- Plan the following CLE programs to be conducted at the Annual Meeting and continuing the CLE at the National Solo and Small Firm Conference to be held in Santa Fe, New Mexico October 3–4, 2008.
- Release our latest book entitled Convincing the Judge: Practical Advice for Litigators by Cecil C. Kuhne III, published by the ABA GP|Solo Division and available through the ABA Web Store.
- Circulate the e-newsletter Law Trends & News.
- Analyze and opine on numerous resolutions intended for presentation to the House of Delegates.
- Negotiate new and renewed corporate sponsorships providing non–dues revenue to the Division and, in some instances preferred or discounted pricing for you.
- Prepare a budget for next year’s products and activities.
- Complete the committee appointment process.
I very much appreciate your review of this publication this past year and hope that you will continue to do so. Should you wish to highlight an issue or activity of significance to GP, Solo and Small Firm Lawyers, please let us know by contacting Kim Anderson, Director, General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Division at Kimberly.Anderson@americanbar.org. Part of our mission is to share helpful information to all in our practice setting. We can only accomplish this mission with help that only you can provide.
Keith B. McLennan
Chair, General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Division
Here is a bit of what we have in store for you in New York. Visit our 2008 ABA Annual Meeting Webpage for more information
- Takin’ It To The House: The Law Firm as Business – Fundamentals of Organizing and Setting Up Your Firm’s Structure and Operation
- Running With The Big Dogs: How To Eat Well Without Being Swallowed Up—A Primer on Getting Work from Large Law Firms and Corporate Clients
- The Corporate Counsel Chronicles
- The Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow: Retirement Planning, Pensions & Estate Planning for You and Your Firm
- ZAPPED! The New and Complex World of E–Discovery
- Historical Trial: Murder at Madison Square Garden: The High–Tech Trial of Millionaire Harry Thaw for Shooting Architect Stanford White
Saturday, August 9
- Bankruptcy Appeals: Which Court, How to Get There, and What To Do Once You Are There
- GP|Solo Committee Meetings
- Judicial Clerkships: Navigating the Federal Clerkship Hiring Guidelines and Developing Skills to Succeed on the Job
- Advising the Small Business Client in Negotiating the Big Real Estate Transaction
- Elder Law 2008—Expanding an Elder Law Practice
We are adding more CLE every week through co–sponsorship opportunities. Be sure to check our website for the most recent information.