- Conference on Azerbaijan’s Energy and Maritime Law Brings Public and Private Stakeholders Together On May 24, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)—in cooperation with British Petroleum (BP), Baku State University (BSU) and a local law firm, EKVITA—organized a conference on energy and environmental law in Azerbaijan.
- Video: Documentary Film Tells the Stories of Human-Trafficking Survivors, Educates Azerbaijani Citizens In December 2012, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative rolled-out a documentary, which tells the stories of human-trafficking survivors to raise public awareness and to help combat societal stigma against human-trafficking victims in Azerbaijan.
- Training Participants Learn How to Identify and Combat Human Trafficking In August, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) held a two-day anti-human trafficking training of trainers for four Azerbaijani regional community leaders—three men from Astara, Beylagan and Shaki, and a woman from Mingachevir.
- Azerbaijani Judges, Prosecutors and Investigators Take Part in Anti-Human Trafficking Training In December 2011, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)—in coordination with the U.S. Embassy in Baku—conducted a three-day training for 25 Azerbaijani judges, prosecutors and investigators involved with combating human trafficking in the country.
- Media Rights Institute of Azerbaijan Publishes a Media Law Manual On September 24, the Media Rights Institute (MRI) of Azerbaijan published its Media Rights Manual in Baku.
- Street Law Essay Competition Winners Recognized For the past seven years, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) has supported Azerbaijani law-student visits to primary school classrooms in Baku and Sumqayit with the goal of teaching children and teens about their rights and increasing their awareness of the country’s legal system.
- Young Lawyers Trained on the European Court of Human Rights Azerbaijan has had a flurry of arrests and subsequent releases of bloggers and journalists recently, with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) playing a pivotal role in the resolution of some of the cases.
- Azerbaijani Information Centers Empower Residents Several months ago Guba, Azerbaijan, resident Eyvaz Osmanov needed a new electricity meter installed in his house
- New Programs to Combat Human Trafficking, Advance Media Rights in Azerbaijan The ABA Rule of Law Initiative’s (ABA ROLI’s) latest programs in Azerbaijan will intensify the fight against human trafficking and promote media rights and freedom of expression..
- Secretary Clinton, Ambassador Verveer Discuss Women’s Rights in Azerbaijan During her official visit to the region, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton met with members of Azerbaijan’s Women’s Bar Association (WBA) and congratulated them on their achievements.
- ABA ROLI Trains Lawyers in Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan In February 21–22, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) trained lawyers in trial advocacy skills in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic in Azerbaijan.
- U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Holds a Reception on the Occasion of Women’s Day On March 5, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Anne Derse held a reception and congratulated the Women’s Bar Association (WBA) for receiving $96,000 grant from the One Woman Initiative a U.S. Department of State international women’s empowerment fund. About 50 women
- Initiative Secures Major Victory for Wronged Heir in Azerbaijan Ruslan Yolchuyev, a lawyer for ABA ROLI’s Legal Advocacy Center (LAC) in Azerbaijan, recently won a major court case concerning inheritance law by helping his client regain the inheritance that had been wrongfully seized from him. The client lived, along with six other relatives, in an apartment owned by his father.
- Azerbaijan Women’s Bar Association Dreams of Success On a weekend in early December, 25 members of Azerbaijan’s Women’s Bar Association (WBA) gathered for two-and-a-half days of training on organizational development.
- ABA ROLI Raises Public Awareness Through Election Reform Program During the 2008 presidential election in Azerbaijan, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) implemented a two-tier election reform program. ABA ROLI trained a number of lawyers and judges on the complaints and appeals procedures defined by the newly amended Elections Code.
- Azerbaijan's Ministry of Education Hosts Kick-Off for Public Legal Education Program In early 2007, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Education welcomed the ABA Rule of Law Initiative’s (ABA ROLI) Public Legal Education program staff, school teachers, principals, representatives of the Baku City Department of Education, and over 75 law students to kick off the second phase of the 2007-2008 Public Legal Education Program.
- Rule of Law Initiative Helping to Launch First Women's Bar Association in Azerbaijan The establishment of Azerbaijan's first Women's Bar Association is nearing completion with the backing of the Rule of Law Initiative and the financial support of USAID.
- ABA Expands Street Law Program to Reach Out to Azerbaijan's Youngest Citizens
- The Rule of Law Initiative in Azerbaijan has successfully expanded its Street Law Program to include its youngest participants ever - third grade students.