In January 2006, the ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) opened an office in Monrovia to implement programs that promote access to justice in Liberia. Until the close of the program in 2012, ABA ROLI undertook a wide diversity of activities, including:
1) the establishment of a legal aid center in the Louis Arthur Grimes Law School;
2) the establishment of a support clinic for victims of gender-based violence;
3) the development of training materials and the training of mediators;
4) the creation of scholarships for promising law students involved in public service law;
5) the provision of legal advice to the Liberian Minister of Labor in his endeavor to update the labor law; and
6) the provision—in coordination with local civil society groups—of legal aid services to prolonged pre-trial detainees and those at risk of prolonged pre-trial detention.